Off Grid Systems
How can I get electricity to my country mountain home or the cottage at the lake?
Some users want to be free from the grid in total and value their independence. Some people must be off grid due to location or the cost of connection is prohibitive. Trees along the power grid may constantly interfere with power transmission. Rural farm areas may not have cost-effective access to the grid.
There is a solution to these situations, it’s called Off-Grid PV Systems!
What Are Off Grid Systems?
Off-Grid solar systems are those systems that are free from utilizing power from a power company or the Grid.
There are advantages and disadvantages to being Off-Grid. For those that are seeking independence from the grid and are able to afford that luxury, the Off-Grid experience can be theirs. There are many other situations where a choice is not available, such as a remote location, or power is very erratic, or the grid is not available to a specific area and various other reasons. In order for these situations to have access to electricity, PV solar panels can be life savers and have a few advantages.
Advantages Of Being Off-Grid
- No monthly electric bill while being off-grid is a major savings.
- Basically, off-grid solar is like having your own power plant.
- An Off-Grid system allows for electricity being available where grid power is not available or power is erratic.
- An off-Grid system is more expensive than Grid-Tied locations but, the location can have all the electricity they need.
- There is normally an increase in value of remote property that has off-grid power installed.
Disadvantages Of Being Off-Grid
- Powering electricity in remote locations is possible but can be challenging.
- Solar panels that are Off-Grid, produce electricity during the sunny part of the day but do not produce during the night. In such cases, a backup system is required for full-time electrical generation.
- Backup may be a common generator or a bank of batteries or more experimental and lesser known options.
- Battery storage will hold and release energy regardless of the time of day or the weather.
- A generator produces electricity only as long as it is running but can be used to charge batteries as well as provide power to the building.